Show Your Support For Rockford Scanner!
If you are worried about the full moon washing out the Perseid meteor shower.
Tonight will be a good night to go out and stargaze! (Before the peak)
The full moon is expected on August 11th, the same date the Perseid meteor shower is supposed to peak.
There are a lot of meteors that are expected with this meteor shower,
Sadly, the August full Sturgeon supermoon will prevent viewing many of them.
Just because it peaks on the 11th, does not mean that it is not producing meteors now!
You can see some early arrival meteors!
This year’s Perseid peak will be fairly dismal by the usual standards, because of the moon being full and at its closest point to Earth.
Visible meteors will range between 10 and 20 per hour at best, according to a statement from NASA astronomer Bill Cooke.
By contrast, excellent seeing conditions often produce between 50 and 100 “shooting stars” or visible meteors during the Perseids peak,
as long as you’re standing in a zone with little light pollution and with clear skies.
The Perseids meteor shower ranges for weeks between mid-July and late August, as Earth moves through bits of ice and rock left behind by Comet Swift-Tuttle.
Whatever night you choose to observe the Perseids, the logistics are pretty easy.
Find the darkest spot possible in your location, bring a lawn chair and snacks to stay comfortable, and try to go out around 2 am local time to get the best view.
Give your eyes plenty of time (20 minutes or so) to adjust to the darkness.
Get out tonight, and watch some meteors!
We highly recommend you going out to the country and away from the city light pollution, to view the meteor shower.
NWS said Less humid conditions will prevail into the weekend.
Conditions should remain free of precipitation through the end of the week, though a few stray showers are possible early Thursday.
So the viewing conditions seem to be good, if you go out tonight.
Just a reminder, it is Mother Nature. She can and will do as she pleases, so ye may or may not see meteors.
Your best chance for seeing them, is going out to the country, away from city lights and look up around 2am.
You can follow us on Twitter, youtube, Facebook.
lake a scene
Snap a photo or video of the scene,
send it to us at [email protected]
- All parties involved are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police are encrypted and not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate.
If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- DO NOT go to a scene. Avoid the area.
- Do NOT post the names of those involved in the comments.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- Source: Space.com
- Sources: If the source is not listed above, then that means the source probably wanted to remain anonymous.
If you want your name credited, let us know. Otherwise we are going to keep you anonymous.
- Due to police encryption and the lack of transparency, we cannot confirm any information that is posted.
If officials do release information, and we become aware of it. We will try to update the posts.
- We can only provide you with the information that has been provided to us.
- All our information is for entertainment purposes only.
- Rockford Scanner is informative entertainment.
- If something is not posted, then we are probably not aware of it. Email us at [email protected]
- You agree that you are fully aware that our information is not confirmed and may have possible errors
and that it is for entertainment purposes only, informative entertainment purposes only.
- If there are any errors, you agree that you will contact us right away and provide us with the possible correction
Along with the source of your information. If we cannot confirm your information, we will not be able to update it.
- You must read all our terms and services and the disclaimers below and agree to all of them. If not, then leave.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.